Bible Institute Schedule
Distance Education Technical Information
CrossRoads Bible Institute provides Distance Education via Internet instruction and interaction. By signing up for a Distance Education class, you are indicating that you are comfortable using a computer, and you possess a basic to moderate proficiency in Internet navigation and communication. While your instructor and the support staff at CrossRoads will be happy to answer any questions you may have that directly pertain to your Bible Institute class material, we are not equipped to be able to train students in basic computer and Internet skills. If terms such as login, upload, download, post a reply, word processor, and e-mail are unfamiliar or intimidating to you, then you may want to consider pursuing a different education option.
Your instructor and the CrossRoads staff, in conjunction with our Web host, should be able to assist you with most technical issues arising from the use of Moodle, the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) that we have chosen in order to provide you with a Distance Education option. However, we are unable to provide service or technical support for other software that you may own, hardware problems with your computer or home network, or Internet connectivity questions or issues. If such questions or problems arise, you will be directed to contact the appropriate manufacturer or service provider for assistance.
- Audio: sound card and speakers or headphones for listening
- Internet connection: 56 Kbps for self-paced courses (caution: if video is present, it may be poor at this speed)
Screen resolution: at least 800 x 600
- Internet browser: IE 7 or greater, Firefox 2 or greater, browser set to accept cookies and to show the newest version of a page
Pop-up blocker: must be disabled
- ONE of the following free media players are required in order to view videos included in most Moodle courses:
- Windows Media Player is a free media player that you probably already have on your computer -- please check to ensure that you have the latest version (not beta) available. If you do not, please visit the Windows Media Player site to download the version appropriate for your operating system. (And yes, there is a version available for the Mac operating system.)
- Camtasia Player is a free multimedia player required for viewing high-quality narrated desktop video clips. You will need 300KB of free disk space and the ability to download, unzip, and install programs on your Windows PC. If you do not have software download/installation privileges and/or the ability to unzip a file on your local PC, ask your System Administrator to assist you. (If you do not have access to a zip utility, there are many free zip utilities available, such as QuickZip.)
- All of those items recommended in minimum specifications, PLUS the following:
- Internet connection: Cable modem, DSL or better (required for high-quality video)
- Screen resolution: 1024 x 768